BTO’s Criminal Advocacy team is unique in being the only Scottish firm employing three former Procurator Fiscal Deputes, two of whom are qualified Criminal Solicitor Advocates, focusing entirely on corporate crime, health and safety and other regulatory matters. Our team is ranked Band 1 for 'Crime' in Chambers UK.
If you or your company are facing court proceedings, or are being investigated by the authorities we can provide the advice, practical assistance and representation you require.
The team is headed by Clare Bone, Partner, Criminal Solicitor Advocate, and former Procurator Fiscal Depute.
What we do:
- Court proceedings up to and including trial before a jury:
- Health and safety
- Road traffic prosecutions
- Environmental prosecutions
- Trading Standards prosecutions
- Fraud and embezzlement
- Bribery and corruption
- Fatal Accident Inquires
- Public Inquiries
- Hearings brought by the Traffic Commissioner
- Information Tribunal appeals in relation to data breaches
- Professional regulatory proceedings including General Medical Council, General Dental Council, General Chiropractic Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Contact: Clare Bone, Partner email@example.com / Alasdair Gillies, Partner firstname.lastname@example.org T. 0141 221 8012
Both of the above are qualified Solicitor Advocates.
- Advising on criminal and regulatory investigations
Advising clients from an early stage in criminal and regulatory investigations, including attendance at interviews under caution with the Police, HSE, SEPA and MCA.
- Health and safety prosecutions
Representing clients – whether individuals or corporate clients - in Health & Safety, Environmental, Road Traffic and other regulatory prosecutions, on indictment and summary complaint.
- Appearing in Sheriff and Jury trials
On behalf of clients facing health and safety/road traffic offences.
- Defending suppliers/sellers facing criminal proceedings
Successfully defending both suppliers and sellers of toys and other products in respect of criminal proceedings raised against them by Trading Standards.
- Involvement in professional disciplinary work.
Involvement in professional disciplinary work acting on behalf of medical practitioners, chiropractors and other health professionals defending complaints made against them to the General Medical Council, General Chiropractic Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council respectively.
- Prosecutions in the Sheriff court
Acting on behalf of doctors, dentists and chiropractors and other health professionals facing prosecution.
- Health and safety and other regulatory offences
Acting on behalf of directors, sole traders and individuals, all facing investigation and prosecution for various health and safety and other regulatory offences.
- SEPA/environmental investigations
Involvement in SEPA/environmental investigations.
"..Very thorough... "Chambers UK
"really solid work. "Chambers UK