Our team acts for clients in a variety of sports, but we are best known for our work in the worlds of football, golf boxing and darts. Where appropriate, we work closely with in-house legal counsel at sports clients to provide them with the “on-call” support which they often need in what is a fast-moving sector.
We advise this sector across a range of areas including corporate governance, commercial agreements including sponsorship, media rights and kit supply contracts, investment, real estate, dispute resolution, equality and diversity, disciplinary processes, charity law and recently the introduction of video assistant referees (VAR). We are well-known for acting in significant transactions and disputes.
Recently we have advised on:
- the hosting of major sporting events at Hampden.
- a significant investment into Dunfermline Athletic FC.
- the transfer of ownership of Hampden Stadium to the Scottish FA.
- commercial agreements for the Scottish FA’s men's and women's international football teams.
- We also represented the Scottish FA in arbitration proceedings and related litigation in the Court of Session in connection with Cinch Cars’ sponsorship of the Scottish Professional Football League.
Will Cole, Partner firstname.lastname@example.org T: 0131 222 2939
"BTO are very responsive and provide us with great reassurance."Chambers UK
"The team is very client orientated and communication is always first rate."The Legal 500
"BTO is able to provide services across a broad spectrum of legal sectors and provide a “one-stop shop” for our needs."The Legal 500
"I am consistently impressed by Will Cole’s client-orientated approach."The Legal 500
"At every stage, Will provided excellent advice and the highest levels of professionalism in what had been challenging and stressful circumstances."The Legal 500
"very experienced … with great in-depth knowledge."Chambers UK